Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Scoop Neck Cardigan



I finished the Scoop Neck Cardigan (finally) I had the knitting all finished on Saturday the 23rd and it took me two days to put it together. Because this is a reverse stockinette pattern, something in my brain kept telling me that the right side was the wrong side. I had the shoulder seams finished the sleeves sewn in and was getting ready to start the side seam when I realized I was stitching on the right (wrong) side. It was a real booger to get this taken apart because I did such a wonderful job weaving in the ends, I couldn't even find them. On Sunday, I started again, but this time I had my Sunday afternoon knitters visiting and about 1/2 way through the 2nd sleeve, I realized I'd done it again. After painfully tearing it apart again, I put it down and walked away. After everyone had left, I decided to give it one more go. I know it doesn't sound like it would be so hard, but it's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time. Your brain takes over and does what it wants to do. Finally, the sleeves are in correct and I start seaming up the side, you're not going to even believe it if I tell you. The wrong side again!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGHHH. So I threw it in my bowl, locked up and went home. Monday morning, I figure third times a charm. I'm all alone, I'm rested and ready to start the day. I pull out the cardigan and get my right (wrong) sides together and I was able to finish it up. All the threads on woven in and the buttons have been sewn on. I'm finished!



Friday night knit night was fun, there were about 8 people here for the evening. (Which is really about all my tiny space will handle.) We can drag in the folding chairs and shuffle some furniture around to accomodate more if it turns into something bigger next month.



Saturday was the 2nd session of our 1st beginners knit class. All the ladies came back (I really thought a couple would drop out). Two of them had finished knitting their scarves and were ready to bind off and start something new. One woman, Cheri, did a really good job, she bound off and added fringe to finish the scarf off. The second woman, Marth, started out with 20 stitches for about 4 inches and then grew to about 60 stitches which she continued to knit for about 8 inches then she remembered to start knitting 2 tog and got it back down to 20 stitches for the last 4 inches. She was going to rip it out, but instead we folded the widest section wrapped it around her neck and sewed a big button all the way through (since we didn't have a button hole). The yarn was stretchy enough that it will fit over her head easily. Here is her picture: This is Martha and her first knitted project.




I wish I would have gotten pictures of the entire group with their projects, but my batteries died on the camera after taking Martha's picture.




Louise knitted up a bright red scarf and was almost finished, she said she'd come back this Saturday, so I'll get her picture then. Cindy, a lifetime crocheter, did a good job on her scarf and has decided her next project will be the felted derby hat. Theresa, Betsy and Florence all ripped out their scarves and each returned with about 2 inches completed. Hopefully, they enjoyed themselves and continue with knitting.


Last night was my second beginners class, this isn't a very good picture, but you can tell they were having fun. (left to right: my sis Leigh, Ginger and Cheryl) Concentrating on what they were doing is Lynne and Shelley.



I only had 4 show up for the class last night, I was supposed to have 8. I think for my next class, I'm going to have them prepay and let them know that there are no returns, but they can reschedule for the next class if they aren't able to make it. If I had known that they 4 ladies weren't going to show, I could have called the list of people who wanted to take the class and were on the waiting list.


So, today is another day, Berroco Comfort is on the truck and should be arriving today. Unfortunately they are shipping it to my house instead of the shop. So, I won't be putting it on the shelves until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That scoop neck cardi is just gorgeous!!!!

Melodye said...

I just found your blog. I've never wanted to own a shop, but you made it sound so much fun,even the long hours and hard work. I wish you loads of success and many years in business!