Friday, March 31, 2006

Alias

I guess you guys are probably wondering why my alias is knakedknitter. I promise I'm not really naked when I knit.

When I was 3 years old my grandma (Deanie) taught me how to cast on stitches. When I was about 5, I was knitting squares (potholders). I kept up with knitting over the next few years, but by the time I was a teenager, knitting just wasn't cool. I'd create the occassional baby booties or blanket for a new mom, but that was about it.

About 2 years ago, while visiting my parents in Colorado, my sister (Leigh) and I both caught the knitting bug (by the way, knitting is way cool right now). We met the owner of Edla's yarn in Walsenberg, CO. She is from the Farro Islands and turned us on to knitting with wool, felting and creating beautiful art.

We were so into the knitting, that my sister's co-worker (Pam) decided to go back to Colorado with us for a weekend trip just to knit. We started a monthly Friday knit-in, Leigh and I would go to Pam's house and knit into the wee hours sitting around in our pjs. Pam would joke about us knitting in our "wearwears" and we became the knakedknitters. You should see some of the things we've made. Felted totes, purses, gorgeous shrugs, sweaters, scarves, lots and lots. I've even set up an ebay account and sold lots of things on ebay.

Knitting is my therapy - if you knit, you can't eat was my slogan. Now that spring is in the air it's been harder to get the yarn out and start creating. I haven't knit for the last month, the last shrug I made took forever, lots of detail, lots of counting and it took it's tole on me. But, I just got my latest newsletter from Berroco and the bug is starting to get under my skin. I love yarn, I think I'm addicted. You should see the yarn collection I have - mind you - I don't buy Wal-Mart yarn. Once you've knit with quality yarn, the discount store yarn is just to synthetic.

I'll post pictures soon of some of my work.

No comments: