Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday, Monday

If was definitely a Monday today. My assistant called this morning and wanted to take 1/2 day PTO time, because she drove to Houston this weekend for Easter. I didn't really blame her, I wouldn't have wanted to come to work after driving 10 hours to get home. yuck...but it did put us in a tailspin. Monday's are very busy for us, we run Help Wanted ads in Sunday's paper and the phone is ringing when we walk in the door on Tuesday. I don't know if I've ever told you want I do for a living. I'm the Operations Manager for a Manufacturing Support company. We don't like to call ourselves a temp service, because we aren't - all of our jobs are full time 40+ hours per week and ALL of them have the potential to become permanent placements. The job market is very high right now in our town and the candidate pool sucks. Most of the people we see don't really want a job, usually their wives want them to work, or their parole officers.

I'm going to have to fire a guy tomorrow, he's been working a modified duty job because he got hurt at work (I think he's milking it for all it's worth) anyways, he turned in his timecard today for 40 hours but it wasn't signed by his supervisor so I called her. She said he'd only been at work a couple days last week and that most of the time he sits in his truck and listens to the radio. Apparently the last couple timecards he turned in were forged. So he's gonna be history tomorrow. He knows somethings up because we called him at 3:00 (he doesn't get off work until 4:30) and he answered the phone. I told him he wasn't to go back to the nursing home but to report to my office at 8am. He hem hawed around and finally agreed to come to the office.

I've got another guy who has been on modified duty in our office (knee injury) he left at noon to go to lunch and about 15 minutes before he was supposed to be back called and said he fell down at home and hurt his knee again, he wanted to stay home for the rest of the day. (probably has an appointment with his attorney). Work Comp really sucks for the employer, especially in an industry like ours.

Oh well, hopefully tomorrow is better.

No comments: